Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Knitting column : Support Glove - Tips for easing knitter's aches, pains

Knitting column : Support Glove - Tips for easing knitter's aches, pains

By: CATHERINE HOLLINGSWORTH
Daily News correspondent
Published: April 25, 2006

(Click the link above for the complete article)

"Is knitting damaging your health? If you are a knitting addict like I am, you probably have a few aches and pains associated with your addiction.

I have been knitting for more than 46 years now, and I'm afraid all my bad habits have come home to roost. My neck gets stiff, my wrist hurts from carpal tunnel, and my back and shoulders ache. I have eyestrain too. Oh, yeah, I also have something called trigger finger. It's a repetitive-motion injury of the tendon. In my case, the ring finger of my left hand has a pea-sized lump that really hurts at times. So what's an avid knitter to do?

Of course, I won't quit knitting, so I figured I had better learn how to correct some of my bad habits. I talked with Dr. Greg Egeland at the Ireland Chiropractic Clinic. He had good advice for all knitters, and I am sure you'll thank him too.

You can also purchase gloves, which act like support hose for your wrists. They fit tightly and massage your hands as you work, which reduces the fatigue and pain. Try doing isometrics for your hands too. Hold your hands together like you are praying but with your fingers splayed out. Push together and release; repeat. This helps to relax the fingers."

0 Comments: